Chart does not respond to Color attribute values on T-Year Month dimension.

I have a three-series chart built on the FIN General Ledger cube with T Year-Month dimension on X-axis. The first series on the chart is column format, remaining two on top are line format.

In the JSON settings (shown as Appendix A below), I have specified the two line series be red and black respectively. I have NOT specified a color setting in the JSON for the first column series though, as I was hoping that would refer to the color attribute of the T Year-Month dimension.

I want to write a rule behind the }ElementAttributes_T Year-Month cube so that historic months are one color, then future months are a different colour in the column chart. As the admin changes the control month, the rule would change the colours in the attribute cube and the chart would dynamically update to reflect the currently agreed transition point between historic and future months.

Before writing the rule, I have tested the chart by populating the Color attribute in the }ElementAttributes_T Year-Month cube. However, the chart does not react to any changes.

I then tested the chart by populating the same colour code against the version in the }ElementAttribute_FIN Version cube (attribute for that version was previously blank) and the chart does respond to this.

I note that all the dimensions in the FIN General Ledger cube have the color attribute on them, but I don’t see any color values populated on any other dimension elements that would be firing in preference to the T-Year Month settings that I have populated.

Is there something I need to do to get the chart to look at the color attributes on T-Year Month dimension which I am not doing?

Thanks in advance!

Appendix A: JSON Settings behind 3-series chart object:

{
“cardConfig”: {
“showTopBorder”: true,
“shouldShowTitlesSeparator”: true,
“showSpinner”: false,
“subTitle”: false,
“showFooter”: false,
“footer”: {
“showFilterInFooter”: false,
“iconClass”: “”,
“text”: “”,
“callBackFn”: “”,
“href”: “”
}
},
“chartOptions”: {
“yAxis”: [
{
“min”: 0,
“max”: 20000000,
“labels”: {
“style”: {
“color”: “#434348
}
},
“title”: {
“text”: “Monthly Values”,
“color”: “#434348
}
},
“index”: 0
},
{
“min”: 0,
“max”: 250000000,
“title”: {
“text”: “LTM”,
“color”: “red”
}
},
“labels”: {
“color”: “##f9d67a
}
},
“opposite”: true,
“index”: 1
}
],
“series”: [
{
“yAxis”: 0,
“type”: “column”
},
{
“dataLabels”: {
“enabled”: false,
“format”: “{point.y:,.0f}”
},
“yAxis”: 1,
“type”: “line”,
“color”: “red”
},
{
“dataLabels”: {
“enabled”: false,
“format”: “{point.y:,.0f}”
},
“yAxis”: 1,
“type”: “line”,
“color”: “black”
}
]
}
}

Appendix B: Row MDX of my chart:

{
{ {[FIN Version].[ACTBUD]} * {[Time Analysis].[BASE]} },
{ {[FIN Version].[ACTBUD]} * {[Time Analysis].[LTM]} },
{ {[FIN Version].[FBUD]} * {[Time Analysis].[CY]} }
}

Appendix C: Column MDX of my chart:

{TM1SubsetToSet( [T Year-Month].[T Year-Month], “UX CurrentYear LastYear Months”)}

I’m not sure what version of Apliqo FPM you are using. But what you are trying to do should already exist in the ibcs-class attribute of T Year-Month. Depending on the FPM version this is either set via rule or updated by the TI process }APQ.C3.FIN.Cub.ElementAttributes_TYear-Month.Update

This attribute will have either a value of act or fc for each time period which can be used to drive formats in time series charts.

Thanks @cw-ch-scott,

I did note the ibcs-class attribute before posting my question, but it is unpopulated and I have seen the color attribute used more here, hence I posted my question about the color attribute instead.

Looking in }ElementAttributes_T Year-Month.rux I see the rule you were referring to. However, the Cubewise consultant(s) before me have commented the rules out for some reason. I am not sure why they did that exactly. I assume they must have had a reason why they want it turned off.

Regardless, writing the TM1 rule behind the attribute is the easy bit. I can either uncomment the existing rule or use my own.

The bit that I struggle with is how to utilise the values in either the color attribute or the ibcs-class attributes to impact the colours in the chart columns. As mentioned, the chart has no issue responding to values in the color attribute on the FIN Version dimension. However, it completely ignores anything I set in the color or now ibcs-class attributes on T-Year Month dimension.

Any tips on how to get the chart to respond to those attributes?

EDIT: I found this topic after posting my reply, which seems to indicate that ibcs-class only does headers anyway, and that the color attribute is what I should indeed be focusing on. Not sure if this is still the case, but posting here for reference:

*EDIT 2: Also, rereading that linked topic above… they mention that the color attribute is only referenced for dimensions on rows? Is that correct? As I showed in the OP, I have T Year-Month dimension on columns (where it needs to be). Could that be why Apliqo is ignoring values I place in the color attribute? If so… is there any possible work-around for this?

Yes the color attribute is used to set the color of the series.
So if I understand correctly you want to set the color of the data points individualy based on color attribute? No that’s not possible without customization.

Ok, thanks @cw-ch-scott. Is there any documentation publicly available as to where (and ideally how) I would go to create such customisation myself?