No PDF attached from the scheduling of Report Manager

Hi there,

Trying to configure reports to be sent out to some e-mail from Canvas, but it does not seems working.

On the credential side, I have tried with domain and without domain, both not working.

Below are my current configuration:

and the e-mail I’ve got looks like that (no attachment):

Checked the logs from Canvas, nothing being logged, the last log was like 4 hours ago.

Regards

Tat

Hi @twong,

Can you check if there are files inside:

< canvas app >WEB-INF\print

Paul

Hi @plim,

Yes, there are files in it.

Regards

Tat

Hi @twong,

There should at least be something in there to indicate that a job has been scheduled.

If you click on the “Execute” button above, can you see any line in the log that should say “Running print job…”

If not, can you try to:

1. Stop Canvas server
  2. Rename WEB-INF\logs\application.log
  3. Start Canvas Server
  4. Ensure the a new application.log has been generated

Then try to re-run your scheduled report by clicking on the “Execute” button. Try to check also if there is anything on the browser console.

Paul

Hi @plim

I have tried your suggestion, new application.log got created but nothing seems to be logged regarding printing:

And nothing shows in browser console when i click “Execute” either.
Please advise.

Thanks
Tina

Hi @twu,

Can you send to me the file WEB-INF\config\jobs\a8…f14.json file?

Paul

Hi @twu,

Can you also send me the application.log file?

Thanks!

Paul

Hi @twu,

Seems like the current version of Canvas that you have does not contain the scheduler at all.

It should at least show the following line:

InitContextListener:69	License file is valid
InitContextListener:78	Scheduling print jobs <--- this is missing

Was the upgrade done through the installer? How about the samples? Can you test it out there? What is your current version of Canvas?

Paul

Hi @plim

The upgrade was done through the installer, all the applications were upgraded including samples.
The current version should be v1.2, how can i test? and how do i get the scheduler installed again?
(Please note i do received email from the scheduling job, it’s only the attachment is missing.)

Hi @twu,

How about the samples? Can you try to setup a scheduler job on the samples and see if that will be able to generate the PDFs?

Also, can you check on your application.log file of the samples, whether the line “Scheduling print jobs” is shown on the logs?

Paul

Hi @plim

I tried to change the SMTP server and used Office365, but i haven’t received any emails.
btw the logs look ok.

Hi @twu,

Sorry, but can you set the use SSL to true? I forgot about that.

Paul

Hi @plim

ticked SSL the port is changed from 25 to 587, but still not getting any mail…

Hi @twu,

Can you try it on your laptop?

There is a possibility that the attachments has been stripped off before it is received - or maybe there is a rule on the mail server about the account that you are using.

Paul

Hi @plim

Still no email using my laptop and using office365 smtp.
Maybe my account does not have access to send emails?

Any errors in the logs?

Hi @twu,

Also, using cubewise emails, you can only send to cubewise accounts only too. You can send it to yourself if you want to.

Hi @plim

I have successfully received mail with attachment using my laptop using smtp.office365.com.
But applying the same config to client environment, i don’t get email anymore, looks like they’re blocking calling any other mail server. any suggestion?

Hi @twu,

Can you test it out on client’s environment again, this time using their mail server, but using some other email client tools/scripts?

The idea is to be able to check and to verify that the account you have been using has limited access / rights and possibly is the one filtering the attachments.

It could also be that sending emails outside of the company has attachment limitation. Can you try to send to your own / client-provided email address?

Paul

Hi @plim,

I have tried to send e-mail with attachment using Powershell, it is working, and I can see the attachment.

powershell $securepass = ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -String ‘{{password}}’ -Force;Send-MailMessage -From ‘someone@mycompany.com’ -Subject ‘Test’ -Body ‘Test’ -To ‘someclient@mycompany.com’ -SmtpServer ‘{{smtpserver}}’ -Credential (New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential(’{{username}}’,$securepass)) -Attachments ‘d:\test.xlsx’ -BodyAsHtml -DeliveryNotificationOption never

Regards