Cross drill to another grid

Hi,

How do I implement a grid cross-drilling to another grid?

Example:
Grid 1
Function Status
Budget Paper Draft
Actual Template -

Grid 2
Function Status Submitted By
Budget Paper Draft User A
Budget Paper Revision 1.0 User B

If I click on Budget Paper (Grid 1), Grid 2 should show all Budget Paper data.
If I click on Actual Template (Grid 1), Grid 2 should not show any records.

I’d like a similar functionality as the table popup but would like to display both in the screen that’s why I have 2 grids.

This is how far I went.

Grid 1 settings:
“crossDrill”: {
“enabled”: true,
“limitDrillTo”: [
“Functions”
]
},
“drill”: {
“enabled”: true
},

*** In the Cube settings, Functions dimension has the “ON” to HyperLink to change filters

Grid 2 settings:
“crossDrill”: {
“enabled”: true,
“includeLeaves”: true,
“limitDrillTo”: [
“Overheads Functions”
]
},

Can you point out what is missed out or what’s wrong?

Thank you.

Hi @MFS

I think there’s a bit of confusion in terminology here. The “cross-drill” feature in Apliqo UX refers to the right-click option “drill-down by” which essentially nests a view within a view on rows at the point the drill is performed. This takes the context of the row the cross-drill originates from and allows the user to decompose the numbers down a different dimension (or different hierarchy of the same dimension). The limitDrillTo property allows you to specify the array of other hierarchies the cross-drill is enabled for. If this is empty then by default all hierarchies available in the cube are offered.

The product also offers the ability to “drill to another report” (that is context sensitive navigation). This is done with the “Navigate to” right-click option. This is set with the “targetView” property in the advanced options json.

However from your description I don’t think you are talking about a “drill” at all but rather the option to change a filterbar value by clicking on a row header in a widget table. You enable this in the view settings by setting “Hyperlink to change filters” to true.
All you should need to do is to enable this in one view and make sure the dimension is also on filter for the page (in addition to being on row for the widget) then any other widget on the page which has that dimension on filter will automatically update when the hyperlink is clicked. If you want rows or columns on other widgets to update then you will need MDX as the element list type and oncorporate a setting service variable in the MDX.

Note that you can actually combine the Navigate To and Hyperlink to change filter selection features. Then when you click on the row header you will be navigated to the first page specified in the targetView array and the global filter on the target screen updated according to the element on the row.

Hi @cw-ch-scott,

Thanks for the explanation on the cross-drill concept. I was actually able to do that in my pie chart.

With this requirement, it’s like showing the summary and detail side by side.
Grid 1 is the summary and Grid 2 is the detail of what I clicked on the Function.

The hyperlink to change filters is already turned on in my Grid 1. I am just stuck on what to do next as Grid 2 is still showing all data and it’s not being filtered based on what I click on Grid 1

*** Do you have an example on how to do this?
“and make sure the dimension is also on filter for the page (in addition to being on row for the widget) then any other widget on the page which has that dimension on filter will automatically update when the hyperlink is clicked. If you want rows or columns on other widgets to update then you will need MDX as the element list type and oncorporate a setting service variable in the MDX.”

Thanks much!

Well assuming in your example that the “Details” widget should have Overhead Function on filter and say Trans Number on rows then you just need to go to the Details tab and drag the Overhead Functions dimension to the filter. That’s all, nothing more to it. A hierarchy can only be used once in each widget and this will be ignored for the Workflow Status widget but clicking the hyperlink will change the value in the filter which will in turn drive the Details widget.

You can leave the dimension on rows in the Details widget and simply add the dimension to thge filter (click the “+” button on the global filters and then select Overhead Function to add to the filterbar). If you do this and want to keep the dimension on rows in the 2nd widget then you need to use setting service variables in the MDX to take the value from the filter.

There are plenty of examples in the Apliqo_Demo application which can be set up automatically during the install. I suggest to look here.

Thanks, @cw-ch-scott!
I was able to put the said dimension in the Filter Bar and it is now able to filter perfectly! :smiley: