Creating Variables for a Process Using Arc

Hi,

I’m creating a process in Arc with a cube view as the source. Is it possible to create the variables based on the dimensions of the cube without creating a view to preview? If not, what is the best way to create a view to use for previewing. I feel as if I’m missing a trick in the way I’m creating a process.

If I was creating a process in Architect, I would just create a view from within the TI process window and select that view to preview. That would give me the variables that I need. If I use the same view in Arc, I get a SystemOutOfMemory error on the server. Currently I’m amending the view using the Architect /TI window to have a single element in each dimension so that I can preview it in Arc.

Thanks.

If your instance has the framework installed you can use the process }APQ.Cub.Vue.TIDatasourceDummy

Hi @R.B,

You should be able to create the variables manually. It would be possible to create the variables using the cube view definition (rather than the result). Create an enhancement request at:

Did this get added?

I have much the same problem - creating a TI but no views exist and I ended up going back to Architect to create a zzTemp view with the dimensions in the native order.

Maybe a plug-in to create a standard TI source view could be the answer?

You can create new cube views in Arc, but I don’t find it as useful as creating a new cube view in Architect because you have to manually drag and drop dimensions to define the view to be saved.

I think it would valuable to utilize the same approach as Architect in that all dimensions except the last two are in the title area, and the default member be utilized. This would mean a lot less clicks to quickly create a view, and users would immediately see data. I can create an enhancement if none already exists.

I also think this would be valuable to implement in Apliqo UX…

In Apliqo UX we already have a concept of being able to set standard layout per cube for use in widgets subviews and filters. But I like the sound of having a quick view template so the user can see data after one click for when we implement a cube viewer.

In Arc 1.9.0 we added the ability to create the variables with a view, just leave it blank after selecting the cube. You can then generate the variables and set the view name in the prolog.

Got this error when i tried that Tim?

Looks like a bug, can you please create a ticket.

The easiest way in Arc would be to use the Console …
ViewCreate( ‘CubeName’, ‘ViewName’ )
and done!
Seems easier to me than manually creating variables for the dimensions.

Yep, that’s what I’m after

Thanks

done - thanks Tim