Creating a Migration Package - Question About The Version of Objects

Hi,

I used Pulse to create a package of changes to migrate from a development instance to a production instance. I selected a date range and a specific user to limit the objects so that I could easily select only the ones (specific processes) that were required. It seems that pulse packages the latest version of the process that that user is identified as changing. If another user had subsequently changed the process, the version with their changes is not included or available for inclusion when creating the package. Is this description of the behaviour correct?

Straight after creating the package if I update the package using the Recreate option, it seems to include the latest versions of the processes regardless of user. Is this description of the behavior correct?

If I want to ensure I have the latest version of objects do I need to always recreate the package after creating it?

Pulse Version: 5.7.5

Thanks.

Hi @R.B,

Yes this is by design, you can see the migration package as a “snapshot” of your object at the time your package was created.

If you click on your package you will see when it was created:

Most of the time you will create a migration package and execute it straightaway. However, if you want to execute an old package with the TM1 objects as they are today, you will have to click the “Recreate” button. This feature has been introduced in v5.6.

After clicking the “Recreate” you will get a notification saying that your objects have been refreshed:

I hope this help.

Cheers,

Vincent

The objects haven’t changed in this case. The first time I create the package I get an old version of the process (it’s the last version that the particular user saved). When I click the “Recreate” button I get the latest version, regardless of who saved it. Is that the expected behaviour?

Sorry if I was not clear enough. Let me add more details.

When Pulse creates a migration package, Pulse includes the version of the TM1 objects which is stored in the Pulse Source Control System. This Pulse Source Control System is updated (by default every 30 seconds) or when the documentation run (by default every day at 1h45am).

In the Pulse instance settings you can see how often Pulse checks for changes, in my instance Pulse checks for changes every 30 seconds by default:

If you save a change in a TM1 process and then you create a migration package before Pulse has time to check for changes, then these changes will not be included.

What might happened in your case is that you created your package before Pulse checked for the last changes. And then later when you clicked on the “Recreate” button, Pulse had time to check for the last changes so they were included in your recreated package.

Cheers,

Vincent

No, both changes are logged in Pulse.

When I create the package at first, it is filtering the changes correctly (by date and user) and packaging the latest of those filtered changes, although it may not be the latest change if that change was made by a different user not included in the filter. I just assumed I was getting the latest version of the processes.

When I recreate the package, the objects are being updated ignoring the original date and user filters, which is what I would assume happens if the process has been updated.

I’m not saying there is an issue here, just checking that this is what it is doing as it is different to what I assumed and would explain a few things in the past. It just means that if I filter by users when creating a package that I always need to recreate a package to ensure I get the latest objects even if nothing has changed.

Hi @R.B.

It should get the latest object (regardless who made the change), could you please help us by sending us a Ticket to Zendesk and we will take a look on this.

Regards,

Erik

Hi @ecarmona

I’ve added a ticket in zendesk with steps to reproduce the behaviour I’m seeing.