Columns in views

Hi,

A few questions on Apliqo UX views.

1. Is it possible to define a default column width for individual elements in a UX view (e.g. based on an attribute)?

2. Is it possible to wrap the element names for the columns?

3. Is it possible to define a column (or a single sub-view) as read-only in a UX view even though a user has write access?

Thanks.

Hi @R.B
The answers for now are no, no & no.

For column width the initial setting is based on the width of the longest cell value for the column. You can then as a user resize the columns via dragging and this be stored and will persist for the duration of your session so if you leave the screen and come back then you will still have the resized column.

Setting a sub-view to read-only is an interesting one. This isn’t currently supported but might be a good feature. What’s the use case?

This kinda goes hand in hand with my wrapping question. In the view I’m creating I have 20 to 30 columns in total when all the columns are shown. It would be good to set them to a specified width when the view opens and wrap the headings in that width. If the columns get wider because of the data then that would be fine for me this time. I have some descriptive headings that are wide but the data is quite small, it makes the screen wide. Currently, the columns can’t be made narrower than the headings.

In this case to stop people changing data by mistake in a particular view. There will be users with admin / superuser rights that will have write access to elements, but 90% of the time shouldn’t change the data.

This may not be very common case but I agree it could be very useful when the data entry view and control/reporting view are in the same cube and we don’t want end users / power users / admin to make any changes at that stage.

Hi @R.B
I agree being able to wrap column headers would be very useful as often the header text results in a column being much wider then it needs to be. This is something we will definitely look into. I can understand the use case for setting fixed column widths but this is problematic as the tables need to also be responsive to the screen display size.
Being able to set a read-only property for sub-views has been added to the feature wish list.

In case users have access to a TM1 model from UX and e.g. Perspectives or TM1Web, this may bring some risk and they potentially could change the data directly in a cube.

The read-only UX view makes sense only for systems where UX is the only front end.

@mmioduski

I disagree with that. User security is based on their need to change data. The reason for asking for the option to make views read-only in UX is to reduce the risk of changing data accidentally. Just because Perspectives doesn’t have read-only formulas and views don’t have a read-only option doesn’t mean we shouldn’t reduce risk where we can.

To add to @R.B 's point - you can achieve the same thing in TM1web by wrapping the DBRW in extra brackets to prevent input where a user would have security access to the underlying cell - so I think it should be possible in UX too.