Pulse to restore Factory Setting?

Hi all,

Is it possible to somehow restore to factory setting? We are currently handing the system to a penetration testing vendor, and they said they would like to change dashboard, add more validation rules, create and delete instances using Pulse, changing Kibana existing dashboards, etc.

To me some of the actions seems not reversible easily unless I manually copy and paste value from the other environment, and I am also unable to touch the SQL Server like delete the created tables. Is this the only option or if there is any easier way to restore factory default?

I actually don’t mind re-configuring everything, but just want to seek for an easier way to somehow fix everything that the penetration testing vendor will be messing up.

Regards

Tat

Hi @twong ,

Do you have access to the Pulse Server? How about using the built-in H2 DB instead?

In the Pulse.cfg file, you can just then point it back to the SQL server later (do not forget to remove the generated DB though as it will be migrated over into the SQL Server if it is there).

Cheers!

Paul

hi @plim,

Yes, I do have access to the Pulse Server, but by compliance, any relational database connection need to be managed by their IT, and can either choose SQL Server or Oracle, the other databases are pretty much banned.

If you mean I can first point to H2, restart Pulse, then change back the connection to SQL Server, and it can achieve the restore factory setting, that’s probably something I can do, but I cannot remove any databases on SQL Server without approval from management with good justification.

Regards

Tat

Hi @twong ,

What I mean is:

1. Stop Pulse
  2. Backup the whole Pulse for TM1 folder
  3. Delete/Move the following folders outside of Pulse for TM1 folder:
    • db
    • vcs
    • packages
    • history
    • conf
  4. Start Pulse services (at this point, data has been reset - and should now be using the default H2 db - you can go into the About page of Pulse for verification)
  5. Go to Pulse dashboard, you should see the Wizard button there which means that it is at its initial state and needs to be configured

Once the tests has all been done, stop Pulse services, delete those same five(5) folders and then restore back the five(5) folders from your backup.

Alternatively, I believe you can also just move/archive the whole Pulse for TM1 folder used on testing and replace it with your previous backup and it should be where it was before.

As a summary, we are not removing here any SQL Server database or tables. We are just pointing Pulse to use a local H2 database for testing purposes. So once it is done, you will need to remove this local database together with the other folders that they might have updated.

Cheers!

Paul

Hi @plim ,

That’s nice, easy enough!

This should go into the Pulse Help section, quite useful indeed!

Regards

Tat

Hi Tat,

There is an article about how to back-up Pulse: Backing up Pulse - Cubewise CODE