Creating new Canvas application

Hi Canvas team,

We would like to create a new Canvas application (separate from the ROOT folder). I’ve copy pasted all the folders and files under the ROOT folder and copied it to a dev folder (the new Canvas application folder). When trying to open a page (this page works on ROOT folder), I received these errors. Can you please let me know if there’s any other setting we need to change to create a new Canvas application?

Thanks,
Nova

Hi @nhartanty,

Can you rename the folder to something else like app1 (anything other than the same name as the instances) and check if you still encounter this error?

But prior to renaming the folder, do stop the Canvas service first.

(So in general, on creating new folders and renaming existing folders under webapps folder, do ensure that the Canvas Windows service is not running)

Paul

Thanks Paul. We don’t have the “dev” instance but anyway, I stopped the Canvas service, rename the server to app1 and still getting the same error. Screenshot below:

Side question, can we have spaces in application name?

Thanks,
Nova

Hi @nhartanty,

Yes you can, though it would not be advisable and is considered as not safe as per this article:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

The space character is unsafe because significant spaces may disappear and insignificant spaces may be introduced when URLs are transcribed or typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-processing programs

Can you check on the application.log and possibly check for any errors in there?

Paul

Hi @nhartanty,

Thanks for sending over the application.log file.

I saw some errors:

Error executing MDX [com.google.gson.stream.MalformedJsonException: Expected name at line 8 column 4]

And

Unable to retrieve element dimensions [com.google.gson.stream.MalformedJsonException: Expected name at line 8 column 4]

It seems to be connected with how the MDX was written. Perhaps a character error in there? Will you be able to check and the MDXes that you are using there and further isolate which MDX is causing this error?

Alternatively, when you click on the error above, Chrome will show under Network tab, what was the request sent. From there you should be able to check which MDX caused. Then from your HTML page, try changing it to some other simplified statements in the meantime.

Paul

Hi @plim,

Looks like it’s working now after I remove this line from the instances.json file (leftover from SSO settings).

“applyParenthesisFormatting”:true,

Thanks,
Nova

Hi @nhartanty,

Or do you mean the “useSSOWithCAM”:true?

Paul

Yes, sorry! Copy pasted the incorrect section. It’s working now.

Thanks,
Nova